Located in Salem and Beaverton, Oregon
Call for Consultation +1 (503) 206-8414
Vanderwall Immigration Attorneys Portland Oregon Logo
Uniting Families Through Immigration


Filing an Appeal in Deportation Defense with a Deportation Attorney

When an immigration judge issues you a deportation order, it can be very frightening. However, you have the right to appeal the judge’s decision if you think the judge made an error in your case. Filing an appeal in deportation defense is a very complicated and complex process. That is why it is highly recommended that you find an experienced and knowledgeable deportation attorney to represent you.

When you file an appeal in deportation defense, the appeal is sent to… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Get a Work Permit with the Help of a Deportation Attorney

The deportation process in the United States can take a very long time. Sometimes it can take five years or more from your first appearance in immigration court until the deportation judge makes a final decision in your case. During this time, it is very helpful to have a work permit to work lawfully in the United States while you wait for the judge to make a decision. The process for getting a work permit in deportation proceedings varies depending… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

A Visa Attorney can Help You in an Application for a Green Card

Lawful Permanent Residents and U.S. Citizens can petition to help their family members become lawful permanent residents and obtain a “green card.”

A U.S. citizen can petition for his or her:

  • Spouse
  • Married Children
  • Unmarried Children
  • Parents (if the citizen is 21 or older)
  • Siblings

A lawful permanent resident can petition for his or her:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried children

The first step in the process to getting a green card is the petition. This is where the U.S. citizen or lawful… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Fiancé Visas to the United States

If you are a United States citizen and you would like to marry your fiancé, who is a citizen of another country, in the United States you can file an application for a fiancé visa. A fiancé visa will allow your fiancé to legally enter the United States to marry you. Once you are married, your fiancé can file an application for a green card.

Steps in the Fiancé Visa Process

The first step in the fiancé visa process is… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Can an Immigration Attorney Help Me Get a Work Permit Through DACA?

In June of 2012, President Obama announced a new program to help undocumented students who came to the United States as children. This program is called Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA for short) or the Dream Act. Those who qualify under DACA have come to be known as The Dreamers.

This program allows those who qualify for DACA to receive prosecutorial discretion (meaning they will not be deported) and to obtain a work permit. The work permit is valid… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo


Being detained by Immigration Enforcement (ICE) or finding out that a family member has been put in deportation proceedings can be very scary. Although you are not required to be represented by an immigration attorney in deportation, it is very helpful to hire a deportation attorney to represent you. Deportation attorneys know the immigration law and can determine your best options for relief.

Generally, there are two main applications that you can file in deportation proceedings: Asylum and Cancellation of… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Applying for a Green Card Abroad versus in the United States

The application process for a green card (officially known as a permanent resident card), may be initiated either within or outside of the United States. If you process from within the United States, it is called adjustment of status. If you process from abroad, it is called consular processing. It is important to have a foundational knowledge of which pathway you must take so that you don’t waste your time, money, and energy on a process that will… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Application for Green Card in a Family-Based Petition

It’s no secret that green cards are a hot topic of discussion these days, especially given the recent and pending changes to the United States immigration system. With so many questions surrounding America’s immigration laws, it is essential to understand the facts before considering an application for a green card.

What is a green card?

A green card is a nickname for the United States permanent resident card. A green card allows you to live and work permanently in the… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

601 or 601A Hardship Waiver

What is a 601 or 601A Hardship Waiver, and Why do I Need It?

Deportation-01I meet many people who want their spouse or parent to file a petition for them to obtain their green card. They have heard that they might have to leave the country and that they might need to file for a special waiver.

The family petition process can be overwhelming if you are unfamiliar with the steps and documents required. Do not fear. We are here… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Selective Service and Your Citizenship Application

Failure to Register with the Selective Service Can Hurt Your U.S. Citizenship Application

What is Selective Service?

US-CitizenshipThe Selective Service System is used by the U.S. federal government to keep a name of all eligible men in the United States who could be called upon to serve in the armed forces during a national emergency or time of war. Registering with the Selective Services does NOT mean that you are signing up to join the armed forces as a job… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Contact us for your
immigration consultation