Skip to Main Content

A Visa Attorney Can Help You Bring Your Fiancé to the United States by Obtaining a Fiancé visa.

Love knows no bounds. It is not contained within a country’s borders.  If you find yourself in love with someone half way across the globe, and you want to bring them to the United States to get married, a fiancé visa may be a good option for you.

A United States citizen can petition for their loved one to enter the United States to get married. This process is called the fiancé visa process. The first step in the process is to file the fiancé petition. In this step, you must prove that you are a citizen of the United States, that you have a legitimate relationship with your fiancé that is not solely for the purpose of US immigration, that you plan to get married upon your fiancé’s arrival to the United States, and that you have met your fiancé at least one time in the past 2 year, unless certain exceptions apply.

The petition consists of a petition application and supporting documentation, including biographic information and evidence of your relationship and personal meeting.  If the petition is approved, then your file is sent to the National Visa Center for routing to the US embassy located in your fiancé’s country of citizenship. The embassy will then schedule an interview with your fiancé.

Before your fiancé is scheduled an interview, you must send supporting documentation to prove that you have the ability to support your fiancé financially in the United States. This consists of a financial application and documentation. Your visa attorney can guide you through this process.

At the interview, your fiancé will meet with a consular officer who will ask many questions regarding your relationship. If the officer is satisfied that you meet the fiancé visa criteria, your fiancé will be issued a visa to enter the United States.

Once your fiancé enters the United States, you have 90 days to get married. If your fiancé does not marry you within 90 days, then your fiancé is supposed to leave the United States, and could be deported if they do not.

If you do get married to your fiancé within 90 days, then there are additional steps you must take to petition for your fiancé to become a permanent resident of the United States.

The fiancé visa process can be quite complicated because it requires a lot of supporting documentation and the expertise of navigating the US immigration system. Hiring a knowledgeable immigration attorney to help you is always a good idea to consider.

The visa attorneys at Vanderwall Immigration have successfully processed many fiancé visas from countries all over the world. We can expertly guide you through the process from petition, to financial sponsorship, to interview and adjustment to resident. Call the visa attorneys at Vanderwall Immigration today at (503) 206-8414 to set up your consultation.