Located in Salem and Beaverton, Oregon
Call for Consultation +1 (503) 206-8414
Vanderwall Immigration Attorneys Portland Oregon Logo
Uniting Families Through Immigration

Demystifying DACA Recipients’ Legal Status: Exploring the Path Forward

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program has been a beacon of hope for individuals who arrived in the United States as children. For those who qualify for DACA, a pivotal question often arises: Does DACA confer legal permanent residency? Regrettably, the answer is in the negative. In this article, our adept Portland DACA attorneys delve into the intricacies of DACA protections, shedding light on crucial aspects.

Diving into DACA: A Primer

Established by the Obama Administration in the… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Navigating Work Permits: Your Gateway to Legitimate Employment

In the United States, not everyone can seamlessly secure employment. Legal authorization is a must, and that’s where work permits step in. It’s important to note that a work permit differs from an employment visa. Even individuals entering the U.S. through non-employment routes—like a K-1 fiancé visa—require a work permit for lawful employment. Our Oregon work permit attorneys unravel the nuances of this process in this comprehensive guide.

Deciphering Work Permits: A Primer

Termed as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD),… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

When Can a Green Card Holder Apply for Citizenship?

For many lawful permanent residents (green card holders), applying to become a U.S. citizen is the next important step. But when exactly can you apply? Let’s explore the key requirements with our Salem US citizenship attorney.

1. Be 18 Years of Age:

You must be at least 18 years old to go through the naturalization process to become a citizen.

2. Wait Five Years, or Sometimes Only Three Years:

The general rule is that a green card holder can apply… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Can Green Card Be Revoked?

Regrettably, yes, a green card can be revoked. At Vanderwall Immigration, we have assisted numerous green card holders who found themselves in removal proceedings for various reasons. Please contact our firm to explore your options. In this article, we will discuss the most common circumstances leading to the loss of green card status.

Living Outside the U.S. for an Extended Period

Spending more than a year outside the U.S. can result in the loss of lawful permanent resident status.… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Immigration Attorney Discusses the Criminal Record Documents You Need to Obtain for your Immigration Application

Many immigrants to the United States have a criminal record. A criminal record may include an arrest with no charges; charges that were filed, but later dismissed; charges filed that resulted in a conviction; a conviction that was dismissed through a diversion program. If you are trying to immigrate to the United States and you have ever been arrested, cited, charged, or convicted of a crime, then the US government wants documented information about the incident.

The first step in… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Immigration Attorney Explains What to Expect at a Spousal Visa Interview

So, you have filed all of your paperwork and you have gone to your biometrics appointment and now you are scheduled to attend your spousal visa interview. What can you expect?

When a US citizen or resident petitions for their spouse to become a US resident, the immigration service requires you to attend a spousal visa interview If your spouse is attending the spousal visa interview abroad, in their home country, you are not required to attend the interview.… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

A Visa Attorney Can Help Bring Your Loved One to Visit You in the United States

Do you know a friend or a loved one living abroad who would like to come visit the United States? It may be possible for them to enter the United States for a short period of time for the purpose of visiting family, friends or other attractions. This can generally be accomplished in one of two ways: enter under the visa waiver program or obtain a visitor visa.

The Visa Waiver Program is a program of the United States… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

What Can I Do If My Abusive Family Member Won’t Petition for Me to Get a Visa?

If you are being abused by a family member who is a US citizen or resident, and that person is unwilling to help you get an immigration visa, you may be able to petition for yourself, also known as a self-petition.

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is a section of immigration law that that is meant to help victims of abuse, whether they are men or women. Under VAWA, certain family members of US citizens and residents do not… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

A Visa Attorney Can Help You Bring Your Fiancé to the United States by Obtaining a Fiancé visa.

Love knows no bounds. It is not contained within a country’s borders.  If you find yourself in love with someone half way across the globe, and you want to bring them to the United States to get married, a fiancé visa may be a good option for you.

A United States citizen can petition for their loved one to enter the United States to get married. This process is called the fiancé visa process. The first step in the process… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

How to Apply for a Work Permit Explained by an Immigration Attorney

If you think that you qualify to obtain a work permit from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), it is important that you follow the steps and procedures correctly so that your application is not rejected or denied.

First, you need to download and complete USCIS Form I-765, application for a work permit. This form asks many questions about you, including biographic information, information about your entry into the United States, and information about your passport. It also asks… Continue readingSeguir Leyendo

Contact us for your
immigration consultation