Salem Green Card Lawyer

Obtaining a green card is a significant milestone that allows individuals to live and work permanently in the United States. At Vanderwall Immigration, we understand the complexities and challenges that can arise during the green card application process. Our dedicated Salem green card lawyer is here to provide expert guidance and support to individuals seeking green cards.

Benefits of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

A green card, also known as lawful permanent resident status, grants individuals numerous benefits, including:

  1. Permanent residency: With a green card, you can live and work indefinitely in the United States without the need to become a citizen.
  2. Property ownership: Green card holders can own property in the U.S., providing them with the opportunity to invest and establish roots in the country.
  3. Family sponsorship: As a green card holder, you can sponsor certain family members to join you in the United States and become permanent residents.

Family-Based Green Cards

Both U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents can petition for family members to obtain green cards. The eligible family members include:

  • Spouses: Both U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents can petition for their spouses.
  • Parents: U.S. citizens who are 21 or older can sponsor their parents for a green card.
  • Children: Both U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents can sponsor their unmarried children. U.S. citizens can also sponsor their married children.
  • Siblings: Adult U.S. citizens can file a petition for a sibling.

While immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (spouses, unmarried children under 21, and parents of U.S. citizens who are at least 21) have unlimited immigrant visa availability, other categories may have limited visas, leading to longer wait times.

Employment-Based Green Cards

The U.S. economy relies on the contributions of immigrants, and employment-based green cards enable foreign workers to legally work in the United States. There are several preference categories for employment-based green cards:

  • First Preference: Individuals with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, and multinational managers or executives.
  • Second Preference: Individuals with advanced degrees or exceptional ability.
  • Third Preference: Professionals with jobs requiring a bachelor’s degree or skilled workers with at least two years of experience or training.
  • Fourth Preference: “Special immigrants,” including religious workers.
  • Fifth Preference: Individuals who invest a certain amount of money in a U.S. business or in an area with high unemployment, resulting in job creation.

Asylum or Refugee-Based Green Cards

If you have been granted asylee or refugee status, you may be eligible to apply for a green card based on that status.

The Green Card Application Process

The specific steps to obtain a green card depend on the category you are applying under. In most cases, you will need a sponsor who will file a petition on your behalf with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you are seeking an employment-based green card, the labor certification process may be required. After the petition is approved, you will undergo an interview. If you are already in the U.S., you will go through Adjustment of Status. If you are outside the U.S., you will go through Consular Processing.

Denial of a green card application can occur for various reasons, such as previous unlawful presence in the U.S., prior deportation, or criminal convictions. In some cases, waivers may be available to overcome these grounds of inadmissibility. Working with an experienced attorney is crucial to navigating the complexities of the process and responding effectively to denials.

Frequently Asked Questions about Green Cards

Can I come to the U.S. to get married to a citizen?

Yes, you can apply for a K-1 Fiancée Visa, which allows you to enter the U.S. to get married. After marriage, you can adjust your status to obtain a green card.

What is the labor certification?

Labor certification is typically required for most employment-based green card categories. It involves demonstrating that there are no minimally qualified U.S. workers available for the job. Working closely with a Salem green card lawyer at Vanderwall Immigration can help ensure the accurate completion of the paperwork.

How fast can I get a green card?

The processing time for a green card varies depending on the category and individual circumstances. While some categories may have lengthy wait times, others may receive green cards more quickly.

When can the government revoke my green card?

Green cards can be revoked in certain situations, such as committing immigration fraud, lying, committing certain crimes, or establishing your home outside the U.S. Seeking legal representation promptly is essential if you are facing potential revocation.

Does my green card expire?

Green cards are typically valid for 10 years. After expiration, you need to renew your green card to maintain valid proof of your permanent resident status.

Contact Our Salem Green Card Lawyer for Assistance

At Vanderwall Immigration, we have extensive experience helping individuals and businesses navigate the green card application process. If you need guidance, have questions, or require assistance with paperwork, our Salem green card lawyer is ready to help. Contact us today to schedule a confidential consultation.