Skip to Main Content

A Visa Attorney can Help You in an Application for a Green Card

Lawful Permanent Residents and U.S. Citizens can petition to help their family members become lawful permanent residents and obtain a “green card.”

A U.S. citizen can petition for his or her:

  • Spouse
  • Married Children
  • Unmarried Children
  • Parents (if the citizen is 21 or older)
  • Siblings

A lawful permanent resident can petition for his or her:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried children

The first step in the process to getting a green card is the petition. This is where the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident sponsor must prove his or her relationship to the applicant. For example, if it is a spousal visa, then the married couple must prove they are in an authentic relationship for love and not just a  relationship to get a green card.

After the petition is approved, the sponsor must prove that he or she can financially support the applicant by showing proof of assets or income. If the sponsor does not make enough money, then he or she can use a co-sponsor, or someone else who agrees to be financially responsible for the applicant. Finally, the applicant must provide all of his or her biographic information, answer security questions, and pass a medical exam. If the applicant is approved, an immigrant visa or green card (link to the home page) will be issued.

Some applicants’ cases will be much more complicated and will require a special waiver or pardon to seek forgiveness before being allowed to enter the United States. Examples of an applicant that may require a waiver include: if the applicant has a criminal record, has been deported from the United States before, has ever lived in the United States without proper documentation, or has committed fraud.

Vanderwall Immigration has considerable experience with the immigrant petition process to obtain a green card. We have two visa attorneys on staff who can help you with your green card application process. Our visa attorneys will guide you through the entire process of obtaining a green card from the petition, to the financial sponsorship, to the hardship waiver (if applicable) and the final interview. Call us today at 503-206-8414 to schedule an immigration consultation for your green card with a visa attorney.