Skip to Main Content


It is very common for immigrants who are waiting for green cards in the United States to want to obtain a work permit. They want to work legally in the United States while they wait for the green card to process. With changes in policy caused by the current presidential administration, the green card process is taking longer and longer. That is why it is more important than ever to obtain work authorization, if possible. For some immigrants, it is possible to obtain a work permit while waiting for the green card. It is important to find a competent immigration attorney who can help you through the green card process, determine if you qualify for a work permit, and help you obtain a work permit while you wait for a green card.

Some immigrants who are currently in the United States can qualify to become US lawful permanent residents, in other words obtain their green card, without having to leave the United States. For those immigrants, it is beneficial to obtain work authorization. The processing times for a green card can take at the least 3 to 4 months and up to 2 to 3 years or longer. If an immigrant is currently in the United States and qualifies under 245(a) to file their green card petition in the United States, then they are eligible to also file a request for a work permit.

A work permit application is processed on form I-765. Once an immigrant files the adjustment of status application (Form I-485) for a green card, they are eligible to submit the work permit application. It generally takes around 3-8 months for a work permit application to be processed and a work permit to be sent to the applicant. The work permit is valid for 1 year from the time of approval of the work
permit application. If the immigrant has not received a green card before the work permit expires, the immigrant is eligible to file to renew the work permit. Renewal work permit applications take 3 to 6 months, so the immigrant needs to file the renewal request with plenty of time left on the current work permit.

Although the form for the work permit application is only 2 pages, there are some complicated questions that the applicant must fill out correctly in order for the work permit to be processed. For example, one question on the form asks the applicant to write the proper category under which they qualify for a work permit. There are many different categories to choose from and the options are not listed on the form. If the immigrant lists the wrong category, the work permit will be denied.

It is important to work with a qualified immigration attorney throughout the entire process of your adjustment of status and work permit applications to ensure that there are no mistakes and that your application will not be denied. The immigration attorneys at Vanderwall Immigration are very knowledgeable regarding adjustment of status and work permit applications with the US government and have successfully processed hundreds of applications. If you are waiting for your green card and want to file for your work permit, call the immigration attorneys at Vanderwall Immigration today at 503-206-8414.